Fruits and cheese is a typical flavor association of French cuisine. In autumn, we like to mix pears and blue cheese. Just try it. It’s awesome!
That salad pleases very much to my kids: they love the sweetness of the pears and the crunchiness of the hazelnuts. When cooking for my children I will preferably use soft blue cheese (Fourme d’Ambert, Gorgonzola). When it’s for my friends, I will choose stronger tasty cheese such as Roquefort. Just choose the one you prefer and enjoy!
Autumn French flavors salad recipe
- Preparation: 15 minutes
- Cooking: 1 minute
- Total: 16 minutes
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 tablespoon hazelnut oil
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons hazelnuts
- Green salad (preferably a mix of young leaves)
- 3.53 oz (100g) of blue cheese (I recommend Roquefort or Bleu d’Auvergne or Fourme d’Ambert. If you don’t find them take your local favorite blue cheese. Gorgonzola is also perfect)
- 2 ripe pears
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Mix together the oils, vinegar, salt and pepper
- Wash and dry the salad
- Slice the pears
- Dice the cheese
- Roast the hazelnuts in a pan without any oil for about 1 minute
- Dress the plates: put the salad, then the pears, the hazelnuts and the dressing
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
To be served as a starter or a side-order. It’s also perfect with a Blue cheese burger click here for French cheese burger recipes
Autumn salad wine pairing
A sweet and young white wine will be perfect with blue cheese. Some ideas from the French vineyard:
- Coteaux de Layon
- Coteaux de Saumur
If your cheese is very salty (like Roquefort) use preferably a sweet white wine of late grape harvest such as:
- Bordeaux: Sauternes, Loupiac, Barsac, Cadillac, Graves supérieur
- Sud-Ouest: Monbazillac, sweet Jurançon, Saussignac
- Alsace: Gewurztraminer, Pinot gris
If you prefer red wine, it’s totally possible to match blue cheese with a sweet red wine such as:
- Muscat de Beaumes-de-Venise rouge
Other recipes with French blue cheese and pears (warm variants)
- Salty pie : puff pastry or short pastry, pears, cow blue cheese like Fourme d’Ambert, fresh cream (optional). Cook at 390°T / 200°C during 30 minutes. Serve with a salad. That’s all!
- Baked pears (put to the oven at 350°T/180°C for 5 minutes slices of pears covered with diced cow blue cheese and broken hazelnut. Serve with a salad. you can add some honey also.