That puree is one of my kid’s favorites! It’s absolutly amazing and it really makes me melt with pleasure. It’s slightly sweet with a very soft taste. It’s a perfect side order for a grilled salmon, roasted chicken, pork roast or smoked sausages.
Last but not least it’s a very healthy choice as side order: the cocktail of pumpkin, carrot and sweet potato is rich of antioxydants, beta-carotene (transformed by the body into vitamin A) and prevents from cellular ageing. It’s good for the eyes, for the skin and facilitates healing. It’s also full of vitamin B9, vitamin C and potassium that regulates the nervous system. Pumpkin seeds are rich in unsaturated fatty acids (excellent for the health), in magnesium, copper, iron, zinc, phosphorus and manganese!
You like tasty healthy food? Test also Gourmet salmon toast and Healthy cod fish burger with fresh herb yogurt sauce
Pumpkin, carrot and sweet potato puree recipe
For 4 servings
- Preparation: 15 minutes
- Cooking: 20 to 30 minutes
- Total: 40 minutes
- 8.81 oz (250g) carrots
- 14 oz (400g) pumpkin (with outer peel) or 7 oz (200g) pumpkin flesh
- 3.88 oz (110g) sweet potatoes
- 3 tablespoons liquid cream
- 1 to 2 tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper
- Prepare the pumpkin*: remove the seeds and the strings. Remove the outer peel (be careful!) and cut it into cubs. We need 7 oz (200g) cubs of pumpkin
- Peel the carrots and the sweet potatoes. Cut them into cubs
- Steam the vegetables cubes for about 20 minutes. Check the cooking with a knife. Variant: you can also cook it in salted boiling water if you prefer (I prefer steam which is a better option for keeping vitamins)
- Mash the vegetables with a masher or mix them with a mixer
- Add the liquid cream, the butter, salt and pepper
- Serve hot
You receive friends or family at home and would like a more sophisticated presentation?
Use a few sprigs of chervil and pumpkins seeds to decorate!
- Preheat the oven to °T (180°C)
- Rinse the seeds in a sieve. They must be very clean. You can also “blanch” them for about 5 minutes in boiling water.
- Dry them using a kitchen towel
- Display the seeds on a baking tray
- Add salt if you like. You can eventually add spices of your choice (curcuma for instance or curry or paprika)
- Cook for about 20 minutes. Stir every five minutes
- That’s it!
* Variant for cooking the pumpkin
If you prefer not to remove the outerpeel before cooking the pumpkin (to avoid cutting yourself), you can keep it and cook it by two different ways: cut the pumpkin into two pieces. Steam (about 20 minutes) or bake in oven (about 30 to 40 minutes at 360°T (180°C). Then remove the flesh with a tablespoon.