Looking for some ideas for Christmas? Personnaly I always prefer the sea option: salmon, scallops, lobster, crayfish…
For this coming Christmas, I have selected crayfish: I particularly appreciate its delicate and firm flesh with fine iodized flavours. (You can also prepare this recipe with lobsters, both seafoods are perfects!)
There are many ways to prepare crayfish and lobster. The French cook book is full of wonderful recipes. Two months ago, I discovered this crayfish with lemon-herb during a dinner. I immediatly decided to include this wonderful recipe into my personal cook book and to prepare it for Christmas. It’s flavour is particularly delicate and exhausted by the lemon and herb butter…
Just a word: enjoy!
Crayfish with lemon herb butter recipe
For 8 servings
- 8 crayfishes (0.9 to 1.1 lbs each i.e. about 400-500g each). Please note that for this recipe, we only use the tail. So if you have the possibility to buy directly lobster tails buy 8… You can also use lobsters.
- 1 1/4 cup (280g) butter (you can replace it by olive oil if you prefer an healthier and fruitier option)
- 4 generous tablespoons chopped herbs: parsley, chives
- Salt and fresh ground pepper
- 2 lemons
Please notice that in most traditional recipes, it’s recommanded to use live crayfishes or lobsters. I don’t. I simply can’t. So I use deep frozen but uncooked crayfishes that I defrost during 8 hours in the fridge.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C)
- Melt the butter into a saucepan. Remove from heat and add the chopped herbs and the juice of the 2 lemons
- Remove the head of the crayfishes with a knive. We won’t use it for this recipe (but you can keep it for preparing a soup…)
- Cut the crayfishes in two pieces. Personnaly I use scissors to cut the interior shell (the shell protecting the abdomen) and then I use a knife to half the tail.
- Remove the coral if you have it. You can add it to the butter if you want (optional)
- Lay the crayfishes (shell down and flesh up) in a heat-resistant dish
- Salt and pepper (if you use salted butter don’t add salt…)
- Baste the crayfishes with the lemon and herb butter
- Cook for about 15 minutes in oven. Baste the crayfishes regularly with the butter
- Serve immediatly with fresh pasta or fresh mashed potatoes. Served with the lemon and herb butter sauce, it’s awsome!!!
- Enjoy your crayfish with lemon and herb butter
Crayfish with lemon and herb butter wine pairing
Use preferably a white wine either iodised or unctuous such as:
- Riesling (Alsace)
- Condrieu (Vallée du Rhône)
- Châteauneuf du Pape (Vallée du Rhône)
- Chassagne-Montrachet (Burgundy)
- Chablis (Burgundy)
- Pouilly Fuissé (Burgundy)
- Saumur (Vallée de la Loire)
- Vouvray (Vallée de la Loire)
- Sancerre (Vallée de la Loire)
- Graves (Bordeaux)
Looking for other Christmas recipes?
Have a look at: