Any chocolate cake lover shouldn’t die before trying this cake!
We call it “mi-cuit” because it’s “half cooked”. I think the translation in English is “chocolate warmed lava cake”.
On Sunday afternoons when weather is rainy or cloudy I remain at home with my husband and kids watching a movie and prepare this magical cake. In only 20 minutes of time I reach heaven. Chocolate is smelting and remains quite liquid.
That recipe is prepared in French housewives’s home as well as in Parisian palaces like Plazza Athénée. So don’t hesitate to serve it to your friends at tea-time or as a dessert.
Indulge yourself and don’t forget chocolate is full of magnesium and protecting polyphenols 🙂
French chocolate lava cake recipe
For 4 servings
- Preparation: 15 minutes
- Cooking: 5 minutes
- Total: 20 minutes
- 3 eggs
- 3.88 oz (110g) caster sugar
- 3.53 oz (100g) chocolate at 70% cocoa
- 3.17 oz (90g) unsalty butter
- 1.23 oz (35g) wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon bitter cocoa powder. if you don’t have that ingredient just add 0.35 oz (10g) more chocolate at 70% cocoa
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Beat the eggs with sugar
- Sieve the flour (I don’t do it but it will get even better result)
- Cut the chocolate into small pieces (or even better grate or chop it) and put it into a bowl. Melt it using waterbath technique. Add the butter and mix till you get a smooth and lukewarm texture.
- Add the chocolate to the eggs then add the flour, the cocoa and the milk
- Butter and flour 4 small individual cake moulds (you can also use small heatproof coffee cups or ramekins)
- Pour the preparation into them at 3/4 of height
- Preheat the oven to 350°T (180°C)
- Cook for 5 minutes
- Let the cups cool for 5 minutes and unmold into individual plates (if you have used tea cup or ramekins don’t unmold)
- Serve immediately with coffee or tea
Suggestion of presentation if you receive guests
- Serve with a scope of vanilla ice cream or (vanilla) whipped cream
- You can also decorate with hazelnuts and cocoa powder
Optional: if you have more time and to get even better results, put the moulds filled with the chocolate preparation into the freezer during one hour and then cook for 8 minutes instead of 5. With this method, the inside of the cake will remain even more “uncooked”.
Willing to try another French chocolate dessert hit? Try: