I prepared that pumpkin and carrot soup yesterday at home for dinner and it was a great success. My kids love curry and coriander and they really enjoyed it! It’s really easy to prepare.
For preparing that soup, I always use Hokkaido pumpkin. It’s probably because in France we love that squash and we prepare many dishes with it: its flavor is particularly delicate and sweet and has the taste of chestnut and walnut.
Pumpkin soup: an healthy way to eat vegetables
In autumn and winter time, I prepare soups very regularly. It’s a warm and delicious comforting dish full of vitamins.
Hokkaido pumpkin and carrots are very rich in beta-caroten. (excellent for skin health, beauty of a youthful complexion and for night vision…) Hokkaido pumpkin is full of vitamins and mineral salts such as calcium, iron, phosphorus and potassium. It wonderful for detoxifying body.
Personally, I don’t use cream for preparing that pumpkin and carrot soup. It’s naturally smooth and delicate. Coriander and curry add an excellent spicy flavour.
Pumpkin and carrot soup recipe
For 4 servings
- Preparation: 10 min
- Cooking: 30 min
- Total: 40 min
- 1 Hokkaido pumpkin – if you don’t find one, you can also use a large slice of a standard pumpkin ?
- 4 carrots
- Curry (quantity depending on your taste: from 1/2 to 1 teaspoon). Variant: instead of curry, you can also use fresh ginger and grate it
- 8 sprigs fresh coriander
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups (1.5 liters) water
- Salt and pepper
- Optional: sliced bacon
- Wash the vegetables
- Slice the Hokkaido pumpkin and the carrots. Peel the carrots. You can also peel the Hokkaido pumpkin but it is optional because its peel is very thin and can be eaten. If you use a classic pumpkin, you will need to peel it.
- Remove the seeds from the pumpkin and wash them
- In a large pan, brown the vegetables with olive oil, curry, salt and peper for about 2 minutes. Keep stirring.
- Add the water and let simmer over medium heat uncovered for about 30 minutes until vegetables are tender (I use Thermomix at 212°F / 100°C)
- Wash, drain and chop the coriander
- Heat a frying pan over a high heat and grill the pumpkin seeds for about 2 minutes. Keep stirring constantly: they shouldn’t burn
- Remove the seeds and keep them in a small plate
- Add the sliced bacon and grill it into the pan
- Remove it and keep it in a small plate
- Once the vegetables are cooked (verify with a knife), add the coriander and mix with a blender at high speed. The soup should be smooth. My recommendation: before mixing remove a little bit cooking water and keep it in a bowl. Then once the soup is blended add progressively that cooking water until you get the good texture.
- Serve into individual bowls and decorate with bacon and pumpkin seeds
- For decorating this pumpkin and carrot soup, instead of decorating with bacon you can use grilled chestnuts. It’s excellent!
Willing to enjoy other pumpkin recipes? Try this one: Carrot, pumpkin and sweet potato puree