Absolutly sublime as a fresh starter when receiving friends or family at home!
Scallops carpaccio is the best way to discover the smelting texture and subtle flavour of scallops. Raw scallops are really good provided they are very fresh.
That recipe can be served as a starter or even as a main dish if it is accompanied with a mesclun salad.
That version of carpaccio scallops comes directly from the book “Les meilleurs recettes d’Elisabeth” written by Elisabeth Biscarrat, winner of French Masterchef season 2. I am not the writter but we share the same name 🙂 and I really like her recipes. For sure I don’t know her personnaly but she looks nice and her cooking is really refreshing.
I have made it several times when receiving people and I have always had good feedbacks!
A word about scallops carpaccio nutritional properties
Scallops are very rich in vitamins B12, selenium and phosphorus. It is very rare to have such concentration of vitamin B12 and selenium in an ingredient. B12 vitamin is essential to cells reproduction whereas selenium prevents from free-radicals. Phosphorus plays a key role for teeth and bones’s health
Mango is a good source of fibers and vitamin C. It is said that both mango and passion fruit have an anticancer potential due to its antioxydants.
Scallops carpaccio recipe
For 4 servings
- Preparation: 20 minutes
- Optional: freezing 30 minutes (before preparation)
- Total: 20 to 50 minutes
- 12 scallops
- 1 lime
- 1 ripe mango
- 1 passion fruit
- 1 teaspoon soja sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt flower (or freshly ground salt)
- White pepper
- Optional (my personal touch): decorate with chopped coriander
- Half the passion fruit and extract the pulp with a teaspoon
- Squeeze and peel the lime
- Dice the mango into 2-3 mm pieces (0.1 in)
- In a bowl, prepare the dressing: combine together lime juice, lime zest, olive oil, soja sauce and pepper
- On a cutting board and using a sharp knife, remove the coral from the scallops and then thinly slice the scallops (thickness about 0.08 in i.e. 2 mm). One scallop makes about 3 slices (maximum 4…). If it’s too difficult, you can leave your scallops for about 30 minutes in the freezer. Slicing will be much easier.
- I recommend not to handle too much the scallops slices: arrange them directly on the serving plates
- With a cooking brush, baste the scallops carpaccio with the dressing
- With a teaspoon, spread the passion fruit and the mango dices on the scallops carpaccio
- Season with fresh ground salt (or even better: salt flower)
- Serve immediatly!
- If you need to prepare this scallops carpaccio in advance: before adding the dressing and the fruits on the scallops, cover the serving plates with cling wrap (plastic wrap) and place in the fridge. Add the dressing and the fruits at the very last moment otherwise it will “cook” the scallops which is not expected.
Scallops carpaccio variants
You can also try:
- Scallops slices
- Dressing : lime juice and olive oil
- Decoration: chopped chives or chopped coriander or dill
- Seasoning: salt flower, crushed red berries or Espelette pepper
Scallops carpaccio wine pairing
With a scallops carpaccio, the perfect match is a dry white wine such as:
- Alsace Riesling
- Pouilly Fumé
- Vougeot premier cru
- Blanc de Blancs Champagne (white grapes)
If you receive guests you can also serve:
- Summer: Sugar pie from my grandmother